Compensation for Supply Clergy
As of January 1, 2023, the Diocese recommends the following minimum compensation guidelines for Sunday supply priests:
- $225 for one Sunday service and sermon
- $325 for two Sunday services and sermon
- $120 for a week-day service
- $360 for a Funeral, including planning the liturgy and follow up
- $180 for a graveside service
- $475 for a Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage, including 3 preparatory sessions with the couple
- $225 for Holy Week services of the Eucharist with sermon
- $325 for Holy Week services on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Eve/Day.
- Payment due to the priest on the day of the service.
- Note: Travel reimbursement in accordance with IRS rates applies to all of the above services.
- Travel reimbursement includes all public transportation fares (with receipts) OR mileage at the standard IRS mileage reimbursement rate (67 cents per mile as of January 1, 2024) and tolls.
- Ministry in addition to the Sunday or week-day services is to be compensated at an additional minimum hourly rate of $35, plus travel, to be agreed upon by the parish and priest. For guidance please contact the Transition Ministry Office.
- Statement of Pension Assessment: If supply clergy who are active (that is, not retired and drawing pension benefits) supply for the same congregation for two or more consecutive months, a mandated assessment of 18% of the cash stipend is to be submitted [by the congregation] to the Church Pension Fund, retroactive to the first month/Sunday of service.
Send a Supply Request to the Priests’ Listserv
Supply Clergy Limits ~ 8 Week Maximum
Please note that supply clergy may not serve any one parish for more than 8 weeks unless they are aiding that parish while it is actively searching for permanent clergy leadership.
Please do not make a request for "Long Term Supply" either directly to a priest or by using the form on this website.
If you have any questions about your supply clergy needs, please contact the Transitions Ministry office.
This form is for use by lay leaders of parishes currently without a priest. When you submit the form, an email containing the information entered on it will automatically be sent on your behalf to all priests on the priests’ listserv, with the contact email address that you provide as the “return” email address.
Please be sure to provide all the information (particularly directions, public transit information, etc.) that a potential supply priest will need.
Note: by using this form you are agreeing to follow the minimum diocesan compensation guidelines (see left column) for Sunday supply priests.