Transition Office Contacts
Supply Clergy Information
For an electronic form that will send a message to the EDNY Priests List Serv requesting help with supply coverage click here. Note: by using this form you are agreeing to follow the minimum diocesan compensation guidelines (included below) for Sunday supply priests.
For a listing of clergy who have indicated their availability for short-term supply work see the A-Z Supply Clergy List. Click here to download the MS Word document. Within this document following the A-Z list is a list for: Bronx, Dutchess, Manhattan, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Staten Island, Sullivan, Ulster, and Westchester. These lists are provided as a courtesy to churches of the Episcopal Diocese of New York only.
If you want to invite a priest who is not on this list, please contact the Rev. Canon Nora Smith, Canon for Transition Ministry (email@example.com).
The supply list(s) will be updated around 1st of each month and/or as updates become available. Clergy on the supply lists can update their info & availability by completing the online Supply Clergy Update Form by clicking here. or contacting Alito Orsini, Liaison for Transition Ministry. The Transition Ministry Office receives information, and then updates are made to the lists.
Supply Clergy Limits ~ 8 Week Maximum
Please note that supply clergy may not serve any one parish for more than 8 weeks unless they are aiding that parish while it is actively searching for permanent clergy leadership.
Please do not make a request for "Long Term Supply" either directly to a priest or by using the form on this website.
If you have any questions about your supply clergy needs, please contact the Transitions Ministry office.
Compensation for Supply Clergy
As of January 1, 2023, the Diocese recommends the following minimum compensation guidelines for Sunday supply priests:
- $225 for one Sunday service and sermon
- $325 for two Sunday services and sermon
- $120 for a week-day service
- $360 for a Funeral, including planning the liturgy and follow up
- $180 for a graveside service
- $475 for a Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage, including 3 preparatory sessions with the couple
- $225 for Holy Week services of the Eucharist with sermon
- $325 for Holy Week services on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Eve/Day.
- Note: Travel reimbursement in accordance with IRS rates applies to all of the above services.
- Travel reimbursement includes all public transportation fares (with receipts) OR mileage at the standard IRS mileage reimbursement rate (62.5 cents per mile as of July 1, 2022) and tolls.
- Ministry in addition to the Sunday or week-day services is to be compensated at an additional minimum hourly rate of $35, plus travel, to be agreed upon by the parish and priest. For guidance please contact the Transition Ministry Office.
- Statement of Pension Assessment: If supply clergy who are active (that is, not retired and drawing pension benefits) supply for the same congregation for two or more consecutive months, a mandated assessment of 18% of the cash stipend is to be submitted [by the congregation] to the Church Pension Fund, retroactive to the first month/Sunday of service.