The Episcopal/Jewish Dialogue Group of the Ecumenical and Interreligious Commission of the Diocese invites you to our annual educational field trip to a Jewish institution.
From the museum’s website:
THE THRIVING JEWISH LOWER EAST SIDE
The Museum at Eldridge Street’s landmark home – the Eldridge Street Synagogue – is an important piece of the historic Jewish Lower East Side.
The synagogue was built in 1887, during a period of mass immigration to the United States. From 1880 – 1924, more than 25 million immigrants, including more than 2.5 million Jews, came to the country at that time. Nearly 85 percent of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe immigrated to New York City; and approximately 75 percent of those settled on the Lower East Side. Very quickly, the Lower East Side become the most densely populated Jewish community on the planet. The Eldridge Street Synagogue was the first synagogue in America purpose-built by immigrants from Eastern Europe.
This offering is a two-part experience: a 45-minute tour of the synagogue itself, followed by a 45-minute walking tour of late 19th and early 20th century Jewish life on the Lower East Side. Depending on the number of people who register, we will split into two groups and half of us will do the walking tour first, followed by the synagogue after.
After the museum visit, there will be a lunch with discussion at the Church of Our Savior located at 48 Henry Street (a 5-minute walk from the museum).
The museum is fully accessible. There is an elevator that services all 3 floors (as well as accessible bathrooms). Those who choose not to go on the walking tour can visit the synagogue first, and then take advantage of a quiet space for rest and reflection while waiting for the group to move to the Church of Our Savior for lunch and discussion.
Parking is available at a Champion Parking garage located nearby at 2 Division Street.
The diocese is paying for the admission costs for everyone from the Ecumenical and Interreligious Commission budget. We are asking folks to pay $10 per person at registration to cover the cost of the lunch.