Clergy from Outside
the United States

Deployment of priests who are not United States citizens and who are not ordained in or canonically resident in The Episcopal Church in the United States of America is complicated. Significant issues need to be addressed: immigration status, canonical residence and licensing, knowledge of the polity, worship, authority, and Canons of The Episcopal Church, and search process.

Addressing Immigration Issues

In order for a priest to work in the United States, he or she must have a Religious worker’s visa. They must have a position offered before they will receive the visa. R1 visas expire, are site specific and must be renewed. The application and renewal process for permanent residence takes time and is costly. Immigration and Naturalization Service requirements and processes have become more restrictive since September 11, 2001. Contact the United States Department of State, the consulate or embassy for current and specific information about employment and visas.

Addressing Canonical Issues

Clergy should apply for a license to officiate only if they are offered a specific position in the diocese. Clergy requesting application material without a call will be denied until they can present to the bishop’s office the need for the license to officiate. The granting of a license to officiate is a process distinct from granting canonical residence. A license for clergy who no longer reside in the diocese will expire at the end of the year and will not be renewed.

Any priest who comes into The Episcopal Church of the United States of America from another church in the Anglican Communion must fulfill all the requirements of our national canons (Title III, Canon 10), including successful completion of the physical, psychological, and psychiatric evaluations. The cost of the psychological assessment alone is approximately $2,000 and is paid by the member of the clergy. There is no guarantee that an applicant will be given canonical residence. The final decision is made by the Bishop of New York after reviewing the final reports.

Addressing Search Process Issues

Positions in the Episcopal Diocese of New York are not filled by placement or appointment. They are filled by a process of discernment whereby candidates apply, interview, and compete with a field of other candidates. In order to participate in that process, candidates are expected to submit a resume and an Office of Transition Ministry Portfolio and be available to participate in a series of interviews in the parish. Often the cost of interviewing and moving of a priest from overseas is too prohibitive for many of our parishes. No position is filled without the approval of the Bishop of New York.

I hope this information is useful to you as you consider the possibility of serving in the Episcopal Diocese of New York.

The Reverend Canon Nora Smith
Canon for Transition Ministry
The Episcopal Diocese of New York

Revised September 20, 2021

Transition Office Contacts

Mr. Alito Orsini
Liaison to Canon for Ministry, Liaison to Canon for Transition Ministry

Office: 212-316-7414
Fax: 212-932-7368